Mt. Adams Fruit has an agriculture intern position that provides exposure to the practical aspects of apple, pear and cherry growing. This position is best suited for students interested in learning production agriculture leading to managing a fruit orchard.
Nestled at the foot of Mt. Adams in Washington State, Mt. Adams Fruit is a 1,600 acre progressive apple, pear and cherry orchard that sells and ships both conventional and organic grown fruit, worldwide, including Mexico and Asia.
If you are a college student interested in progressive agriculture and are studying the following programs then we want to talk to you.
- Agriculture Economics
- Agriculture engineering
- Exposure and work with:
- Apple, Pear and Cherry Thinning
- Fruit Growth
- Cherry Harvest
- Working with scouting crew
- Pest management/spray program
- Chemical SDS’
- Fire Blight diagnosis and mitigation
- Summer Apple Pruning
- Employee Management
- Basic employment law
- Safety and Health
- Spray program
- Worker communication
- Tree training
- Shop Work
- Office exposure
- Orchard Food Safety
- Other associated duties of an ag or business nature as directed by Orchard Superintendent
Physical demands and work environment
- Excellent physical health and stamina
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability and desire to work outside in all types of weather that is hot, dusty, humid, wet, cold and windy.
- Ability to walk in varied terrain with topography up to 50 degrees inclination and declination
Experience and Education:
- Must be currently enrolled in an agriculture or related college program with the goal to obtain a degree suitable to the management of an agribusiness
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently or on a team
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office including word and excel.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Solid analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to solve problems in a practical manner
- Ability to deal with a variety of changing situations
|Hours:||40 hours per week at least, Mon. – Fri. 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Work start and stop time may be earlier and/or longer depending on the available work and may last up to 50 – 60 hours a week.|
|Duration:||June through September. Mt. Adams Orchards is flexible with the start and end date depending on school schedule.|
|Pay:||$14.00 per hour|
|Housing:||Housing is provided for no cost during the time of employment.|
|Vehicle:||Intern must provide own transportation.|
|Location:||Mt. Adams Fruit
503 Oak Ridge Road,
White Salmon Washington 98672
|To Appy:||Applicants are encouraged to email a cover letter and resume outlining their current course of study and applicable experience they may have to:
We strive to be a highly respected, innovative and profitable company. We will create sustainable growth for our stakeholders; customers, growers, employees, suppliers and shareholders by consistently providing high quality products and services through ethical use of human and natural resources.