- This event has passed.
Cherry Pre-Harvest Tour
May 31, 2016 @ 7:45 am - 12:00 pmFree
Oregon State University & Wasco Co. Extension have announced the 2016 Cherry Pre-harvest Tour at The Dalles, OR
There will be 3 stops on the tour beginning at 7:45 am at Sunshine Estates, then moving on to Omeg Orchard followed by Dave Cooper Orchard. Here’s a quick outline of the things covered at each stop:
Stop 1: Sunshine Estates (4455 Emerson Loop Rd., The Dalles)
Directions: From Interstate 84: Take Exit 87 for US-197 toward Dufur/Bend. Turn right on US-197. Turn right onto US-30. The road will continue for 3.3 miles as US-30, State Rd. and 15 Mile Rd. Continue straight onto 8 Mile Rd for 1.8 miles. Take a slight left onto Emerson Loop Rd. Stop 1 will be on your right in 3.3 miles.
Coffee & Donuts Provided by G.S. Long
Topic: Innovative ideas from a modern vineyard operation
Led by: Mark Roser, vineyardist; Dr. Dan Rooney, Trimble Agriculture; Dr. Mark Greenspan, Advanced Viticulture
* New ideas for cover crop management;
* Mister system to cool fruit when growing temperatures become critical;
* Automated soil moisture monitoring and irrigation system integrated with web and mobile phone;
* Soil mapping and aerial imaging:
– Soil mapping for pre-plant vineyard design and soil amendments:
– Aerial Imaging to detect variability in plant vigor, to allow for targeted corrections. Can also identify virus infected or otherwise stressed plants:
* Good neighbor relations:
* Perimeter sprinkler system for pesticide drift and fire control.
Stop 2: Omeg Orchard Home Block, Dry Hollow Lane
November 2014 freeze damage & repair – severe vs. light pruning:
* Sweetheart/Mazzard – mature;
* Branching success of painted & sprayed on Promalin;
* Mow & blow – side discharge flail to mulch tree row.
Stop 3: Dave Cooper Orchard, 2270 Dry Hollow Road
* Sprayer Optimization Discussion led by Steve Castagnoli, OSU Extension;
* Sprayer calibration;
* Conventional airblast & tower sprayers;
* New ceramic nozzles & conventional nozzles.