The statewide burn ban is still in place.
However, an amendment to the order allows the use of propane-fueled burners for weed control under the following conditions:
1. Orchard floor is wet from recent or ongoing irrigation
2. Flame weeders are used only on living plant material
3. Winds are not forecasted or observed to be over 7 miles per hour
4. Flame is turned to its lowest setting when turning between rows
5. Row turns are not made where dry material is present unless the flame has been completely shut off
6. Operator is equipped with an operable, fully charged fire extinguisher
The Governor’s Proclamation can be found here.
Written by Karen Lewis, August 2021