Storage Rots Management: from Orchard to Packing
March 4 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$25
Who Should Attend
Pome fruit growers, packers, field and warehouse workers, extension specialists, industry representatives, consultants and others interested in learning about best management practices in orchards and packinghouses to reduce the impact of postharvest rots and increase pack-out.
What to Expect
Six hours of training and interactive activities:
- Introduction to pre and postharvest rot pathogens and their occurrence in the PNW;
- Timeline of infections from bloom to packing;
- Best management practices in conventional systems
- Fungicide resistance occurrence and mitigation.
- Cultural controls.
Each participant will leave with digital and hard copies of new factsheets for each of the major post harvest rots: grey mold, blue mold, speck rot, bulls eye rot and mucor.
Benefits of Attending
- Build a foundation for best management of major postharvest rots.
- Learn the latest research-based information for effective management.
- Understand how and when major pathogens infect flowers and fruit.
- Better understand the risks of fungicide resistance.
- Develop strategies to minimize resistance development.
- Achour Amiri, Post Harvest Pathologist, Assistant Professor, WSU Plant Pathology
- Tianna DuPont, Tree Fruit Extension Specialist
$25 to register. Register at http://ppdmw030420.brownpapertickets.com
08:30 am ARRIVAL AND REGISTRATION
09:00 am Welcome: Objectives and overview of the program
MODULE 1: Know your foes
09:10 am Overview of the biology of major pathogens
09:30 am Sources and timeline for infections: bloom to postharvest
10:15 am BREAK
10: 30 am Activity 1: Assess the Risks and Anticipate the Problem
MODULE 2: Best Management Practices (11:00 am – 01: 30 pm)
11: 00 am Current disease management tactics
12: 00 pm LUNCH BREAK
01:00 pm Activity 2: Know the Problem and Develop the Right Management
MODULE 3: Fungicide Resistance: Risks and Mitigation (01:30 – 02:40 pm)
01:30 pm Fungicide resistance development and management
02:10 pm Activity 3: Select an Optimal Fungicide Spray to Minimize Resistance
02: 40 pm Final thoughts, Survey, Pesticide credits, Adjourn