- Superficial scald, also called storage scald, is a pre-eminent physiological disorder caused by chilling injury. This article is a brief overview and update on scald management. Symptoms in Granny Smith and Red Delicious are below.
- For most post-harvest diseases of apple and pear, infections are initiated in the orchard at different times during the growing season. As the harvest season is approaching for some early cultivars, it is time to think and plan pre-harvest fungicide sprays to enhance disease management post-harvest.
Optimización de las Aplicaciones de Fungicidas en Pre-cosecha para el Manejo de Enfermedades de Post-cosechaEn la mayoría de las enfermedades post-cosecha de manzanas y peras, las infecciones son iniciadas en el huerto en diferentes momentos durante la temporada de crecimiento. A medida que la temporada de cosecha se acerca para algunos cultivares tempranos, es tiempo de pensar y planear las aplicaciones de fungicidas en pre-cosecha para mejorar el manejo de enfermedades en post-cosecha.
- Cherry fruit fly has been apparent this year. As growers finish picking some cherry blocks it is important to include an effective clean-up spray. This will be especially important in blocks where many cherries are left on the tree due to size or powdery mildew. In research trials imidacloprid (Provado, 8 oz./A) performed as well as the full rate dimethoate (64 oz./A) (Smith, 2005, 2006). Per 1,000 fruit 0 (imidacloprid) and 2 (dimethoate) larvae emerged from heavily infested cherries compared to 830 in the untreated control. In these trials acetamiprid (Assail, 8 oz./A) also provided practical control, although larvae numbers were higher (18 per 1,000 fruit). Results followed similar trends in 2008, although overall numbers were higher in all treatments.
- This year ties the record for significant fire blight pressure. Warm temperatures and humidity during bloom last year meant lots of innocula in the area this year. Infection periods during bloom and late bloom this year combined with high levels of innocula resulted in more infections this year. Here are responses to questions growers have been asking this year as they cut fire blight out of the orchard.
Grower meeting for an update on the process in staffing the Hood River and Wasco County Horticulture PositionsOSU will be sponsoring a local meeting to discuss refilling of the Hood River and Wasco County Horticulture positions. The meeting will be held Tuesday July 25 in The Dalles at the Columbia Gorge Community College Lecture Hall which is on the third floor in Building 2 beginning at 10 am.
- The Department of Ecology has posted the third video in the series commemorating 100 Years of Water Law.
- Tutorial video on how to use the new Pacific NorthWest Dark Sweet Cherry Development Index Chart developed by Oregon State University. Spreadsheet is available for download below ("More" Section) or at: http://treefruit.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Cherry-color-chart-size-prediction.xlsx
CPAAS Agricultural Technology Day 2017 July 31 @ 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Prosser, WA
Next Gen Transitioning to Organic Tour – North August 2 @ 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm. Brownfield Orchards, Chelan, WA
Taiwan Orchard-Bin Sampling – Prosser August 3 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Prosser, WA
Next Gen Transitioning to Organic Tour – South August 3 @ 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm. Hi Point Orchard, Mesa, WA
Transitioning to Organic Farm Walk August 7 @ 12:00 pm – 3:30 pm. KS Orchard, Royal City, WA
Taiwan Orchard-Bin Sampling – Yakima (am) August 9 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. WSDA Yakima, WA
Taiwan Orchard-Bin Sampling – Yakima (pm) August 9 @ 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm. WSDA Yakima, WA
Taiwan Orchard-Bin Sampling – Wenatchee August 11 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Wenatchee, WA
Taiwan Orchard-Bin Sampling – Quincy August 15 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Quincy, WA
Taiwan Orchard-Bin Sampling – Chelan August 17 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Chelan, WA