- This event has passed.
WSU TFREC Pear Psylla Field Day 2022
September 21, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
For growers and consultants who would like to learn about the outcomes of the pear psylla phenology-based management program this season.
Join us for an opportunity to learn about the outcomes of the pear psylla phenology-based management program in the Wenatchee River Valley. The goal of this event is to present the results of this season and compare a conventional and IPM orchard. There will be educational activities that emphasize scouting for and identification of the most effective psylla predators. Lab members will be presenting on some current management related work.
When: Tuesday, September 21, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: McDevitt orchard in Peshastin, WA
Address: Nibbelink Rd Peshastin WA Address on Google Maps here
- Phenology program
- Natural enemy identification
- Effects of common pesticides on natural enemies
- Scouting tactics
2 pesticide credits given for attendance.
This is a free event. Pre-registration is required. Register here
9:30 AM Registration, snacks, hand out folders
10:00 AM Welcome – Molly Sayles, brief background of the site – Robert Orpet
FIRST-YEAR OUTCOMES – PHENOLOGY-BASED MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
- What is the phenology program? – Louie Nottingham
- Outcomes this season – Robert Orpet
- See a phenology-based IPM orchard and a conventionally managed orchard side-by-side
- Expectations for next season
NATURAL ENEMIES AND SCOUTING
- Pesticide trials on natural enemies – Rob Curtiss
- Scouting demonstration/predator and parasitoid identification
- See differences in psylla and natural enemy numbers between IPM and conventional blocks
- What are the most important psylla enemies to look for?
- How to spot the hard-to-see beneficials
- How can we improve our management tools to make them more useful to you?
11:55 AM Survey and closing remarks– Molly Sayles
Molly Sayles and Louie Nottingham
Tree Fruit Research and Extension Center – Graduate Student
Washington State University
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communications or program information or reasonable accommodation should contact (513)316-1104 or email@example.com at least two weeks prior to the event.